For Windows XP:
1. Download AIO (Asynchronous IO for Java) from IBM (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/aio4j).
2. Unzip the downloaded file and copy the following files:
3. Place ibmaio.dll into Windows System32 folder. (You may need to restart afterwards for this to take effect)
4. Include ibmaio-1.0.jar in the classpath.
5. Edit ActiveMQ's configuration file (activemq.xml, found in the conf folder). Look the following snippet:
Change the connector settings, change tcpServerTransport to serverTransport and remove the unneeded parameters):