BOARD REPORT - April 2015
- The development and user lists continue to stay active.
- Several ActiveMQ based presentation were given at Apachecon NA.
- The ActiveMQ community has voted to name the HortnetQ code donation ActiveMQ Artemis.
- Apache board members requested a special report to address what the plan is of the hornetq code donation. There were some specific question what were directed at the PMC:
- Red Hat has a product, called HornetQ, which includes a website; branding, etc. http://hornetq.jboss.org/
- ActiveMQ PMC does not intend to use the HornetQ branding in any code, docs or website. The code donation has been updated to remove such references. The HornetQ open source project is now considered a legacy project and the code is no longer maintained as the open source project HornetQ. The ActiveMQ community is beginning to work together to develop a plan to take the donated code base forward and to develop around this code base.
- The ActiveMQ PMC needs to deliver a plan for:
- Apache ActiveMQ has multiple products with multiple versions:
- ActiveMQ - (version 5.x.x)
- ActiveMQ Artemis - (version 1.x.x)
- This means that we are not yet ready to declare that ActiveMQ Artemis is the successor to ActiveMQ 5.x. We will wait until the product matures to make that decision.
- The current chair has been the chair for *many* years and based on the current status and issues in the community, I would strongly suggest having a plan for potentially replacing the chair of the project.
- The PMC agrees.
- The PMC has voted to give the code donation a code name so that it is not referred to as HornetQ anymore within ActiveMQ.
- IP clearance for the code donation is almost complete: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/hornetq.html
- At least one member of the PMC, as well as several members of the community, feels strongly that disagreements and concerns are not getting addressed. They would rather have Artemis go through the incubator.
- PMC is in discussions looking for ways to increase community diversity
- PMC has voted to appoint Bruce Snyder as the ActiveMQ PMC chair. The PMC requests that the board approve the the following resolution:
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors heretofore appointed Hiram Chirino to the office of Vice President, Apache ActiveMQ, and
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors is in receipt of the resignation of Hiram Chirino from the office of Vice President, Apache ActiveMQ, and
WHEREAS, the Project Management Committee of the Apache ActiveMQ project has chosen by vote to recommend Bruce Snyder as the Successor to the post;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Hiram Chirino is relieved and discharged from the duties and responsibilities of the office of Vice President, Apache ActiveMQ, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Bruce Snyder be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache ActiveMQ, to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed.
- Development on ActiveMQ 5.12 is in progress.
- Development on ActiveMQ Artemis is in progress.
Trademark / Branding Status
- Sub-projects need to be reviewed to make sure they are also compliant /w TM policies
- Documentation and readme files will also be reviewed for compliance
- Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.1 - 2/17/15
- Apache ActiveMQ 5.10.2 - 2/17/15
- Apache ActiveMQ-CPP v3.8.4 - 2/19/15