Running ActiveMQ on z/OS
It is relatively straightforward to run the ActiveMQ broker on z/OS.
There are a couple of steps:
1. Copy ActiveMQ to z/OS
2. Modify the configuration
3. Run using JZOS
Copy ActiveMQ to z/OS
- Ensure that the 1.5 JVM is available on z/OS, together with the JZOS component.
- Download the .zip version of ActiveMQ from Apache.
- FTP the broker to a suitable directory in USS.
- Log into USS using rlogin or whatever has been configured at your site to do a login into USS.
- Extract the zip file using the command: jar -xvf apache-activemq-5.0.0.zip
- This will extract the whole package in ASCII, so do not except any of the files to be viewable on z/OS, except using special editors suitable for ASCII.
- Maybe rename the directory to which the files were extracted to something shorter or create a softlink for more convenient access.
Modify the configuration
Currently, the Jetty plugin does not work on z/OS, so need to be disabled in the activemq.xml file.
- FTP the activemq.xml file from the conf directory in the ActiveMQ installation to your PC in binary mode.
- Edit the XML file using your XML editor or a text editor like Wordpad.
- Search for "jetty" in the XML.
- Change the comment block so that jetty is completely commented out.
- Save the file.
- FTP the file back into the location on z/OS it came from, again in binary mode, so that it is preserved as an ASCII file.
Run using JZOS
I have renamed the lib/optional directory in USS and shortened some of the lib/optional jar names to make the JCL easier to handle. The JCL to run the ActiveMQ broker is then:
Once the broker has been started on z/OS, modify one of the example application to have the hostname of the z/OS system and run it to confirm that the broker is functioning correctly.
You can also gather information about the broker as usual using JMX.